DAN – Automated External Defibrillators
DAN Training & Education Automated External Defibrillator Program
The Divers Alert Network Automated External Defibrillator course represents entry-level training designed to educate divers to better recognize the warning signs of sudden Cardiac Arrest. The training teaches a diver how to administer first aid using Basic Life Support techniques. The use of Automated External Defibrillators is shown in depth. The course shows how to treat a patient while activating the local emergency medical services and arranging for evacuation to the nearest appropriate medical facility.
- The mean age of divers who die each year in dive fatalities tracked by DAN is gradually increasing. It is now approximately 42 years of age. Divers are getting older, and older people are getting involved in diving.
- Of the 78 dive fatalities in the Divers Alert Network 2001 Report on Decompression Illness, Diving Fatalities and Project Dive Exploration, based on 1999 fatalities, 7.7 percent of them were caused directly by heart disease. At the same time, heart disease was the direct cause of death for 26 percent of the fatalities involving divers over the age of 35.
- 25 percent of divers involved in diving fatalities were also reported to be taking heart medications.
Heart disease is a common problem and to ignore that it affects divers as much as it affects the general population does divers a disservice. When you consider that diving is often done from remote locations and are far removed from emergency medical help, it is important to prepare for every emergency.
DAN Defibrillator Course Content
- Cardiovascular Disease
- The Heart
- Angina and heart attack
- Cardiac arrest
- The “Chain of Survival”
- Resuscitation review
- Legal considerations
All DAN Courses offered by Mermaids CDC – Pattaya, Thailand:
- DAN – Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries
- DAN – On-site Neurological Assessment for Divers
- DAN – Automated External Defibrillators
- DAN – First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries
- DAN – First Aid – Level 1 – Emergency Life Support
Mermaids dive career development center in Pattaya offer the full range of DAN training. DAN courses can be operated at your schedule if we have a weeks notice. All Divers Alert Network training is in-house at Mermaids Diving Centre. Divers Alert Network can be contacted here.