Expansion of the IDEST Approval Scheme:
ASSET, IDEST and SITA have joined forces and agreed to set comprehensive standards for the maintenance and testing of scuba diving equipment, by implementing expanded standards and approval scheme developed by ASSET. Approval is now available for both scuba cylinder testing and for dive regulator maintenance (compressed air).
Technician training is central to the above agreement. In order to achieve IDEST approval and comply with ASSET codes of practice, all new service centers or test stations must employ ASSET technicians holding the appropriate certification. For cylinder testing, existing IDEST test houses may come under slightly different compliance rules, please ask for information.
IDEST Approval and ASSET Technician Certification:
In order to satisfy the requirement for a competent person, ASSET has set certification grades for its scuba equipment technician members; technicians are graded according to training and experience.
These grades are:
Associate, Technician, Advanced Technician, Cylinder Testing Technician & Nitrox Technician.
- An IDEST approved regulator service center working in accordance with ASSET CP1 must employ an ASSET Advanced Technician.
- An IDEST approved cylinder test station working in accordance with ASSET CP2 must employ an ASSET Cylinder Tester (for cylinder testing, existing IDEST test houses may come under slightly different compliance rules, please ask for information).
- An IDEST approved technical Nitrox service center working in accordance with ASSET CP3 must employ an ASSET Nitrox Technician.
- An IDEST Approved Breathing Gas Producer working in accordance with ASSET CP4 must employ an ASSET Nitrox Gas Blender and/or Compressor Operator.
ASSET certified technicians receive comprehensive theoretical and practical training. A comprehensive range of highly practical certification courses have been developed, which include:
- Scuba dive industry technicians course (DITC).
- Advanced technicians course.
- Nitrox technician and gas blending course.
- Cylinder testing technicians course.
- A compressor air systems management course (CASM).
Dive Technician Training Links:
- Dive Technician Training Aims
- Scuba Technician Training / ASSET Standards and IDEST Approval
- 10 DAY Dive Industry Technician Training
- Scuba Cylinder Testing Technicians Course (Part 1 & 2)
- Scuba Engineer Assessment
- Dive Technician Packages Outlined
- Scuba Cylinder Tank Information
- Technical Diving Articles