PADI MSDT + PADI Staff Instructor Internships
Mermaid’s CDC Dive Center Pattaya, was operated since the late 80’s to 2006 by the late Stephen Blumenthal – once the worlds’ youngest PADI Course Director. Steve knew the importance of continued education to be successful. With an IDC (Instructor Development Course) and IE (instructor Examination) monthly it is a great place to further qualifications conveniently.
To be trained as a PADI diving instructor is superb and if your training was through a dive internship, certainly one of ours then you will find your dive skills and knowledge very well honed ready for a dive career.
Some new dive professionals would rather have some experience behind them for confidence prior to approaching possible dive employers for scuba work. They have the scuba diving instructor license but now they feel that they are at the bottom of the list of instructors out there as have yet to teach a dive course. This is not always the case as many of the new diving instructors can be more focused on everything in front of them that they need to teach. Many new dive instructors with no experience will blow you away as their control and knowledge is all 100% fresh and they are really trying to prove something to both themselves and the dive students.
Whilst it is true that you can get to work directly from the internship with confidence some do prefer to have real life dive teaching experience under their belts. Please note that the dive resort business training (ROS) can be added to either the MSDT or the STAFF packages.
Mermaid’s use the superb PADI system and have the PADI MSDT (Master Scuba Diver Trainer) Starter program, the MSDT Diving Life Internship and the Staff instructor programs as internships – please see below.
The “Diving Life” Specialty Instructor (MSDT Starter) Package
PADI Instructors enrolling in this option will receive a CD-ROM including 23 PADI Specialty Instructor outlines. Instructors will present lectures to a PADI Specialty Instructor Trainer and field questions pertaining to those Specialties. The course is designed to prepare you to teach at least 5 PADI Specialty Courses of your choice (extra specialty ratings may be available on request for a small fee). Some goals you will accomplish:
- Present Specialty Course lectures to a PADI Course Director (Specialty IT), and discuss standards and marketing for 5 PADI Specialty Diver Courses.
- Achieve 5 PADI Specialty Instructor ratings of your choice.
Cost: 30,000 Thai baht - Includes PADI Fees for 5 Specialty Instructor Courses and 5 Specialty Instructor Course Outlines.
The PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer Certification – Full Package
The PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating is awarded to a PADI diving instructor that can teach a minimum of 5 PADI specialty courses and has experience in teaching 25 students dive courses. To hold this diver qualification demonstrates to a dive employer that you have good experience in teaching diving and also can teach a range of specialty diver courses. This makes a dive center more likely to offer you a dive job.
If you are looking at entering the realm of technical dive instruction then the MSDT will be useful. Many technical agencies require the certification level for MSDT to be achieved prior to a technical instructor level being held. DSAT require you to be an MSDT if looking at becoming an instructor in DSAT Tec Deep or the DSAT Tri-mix courses. Technical dive jobs require the MSDT rating.
The MSDT Internship – PADI Instructors enrolling in this option will be taken on as part of the Mermaids Dive Center staff for a period of 2 months after the IE and post-IE courses have been completed. During this time you will have access to all the benefits of a member of Mermaid’s instructor team. Some goals you will be able to accomplish:
- Record at least 25 PADI teaching certifications.
- Achieve 5 PADI Specialty Instructor ratings.
- MSDT or Master Scuba Diver Trainer certification in FULL.
- 80++ dives for experience and pleasure (un-limited).
- Add 2 month’s diving work experience at a PADI Five Star CDC to your CV.
Cost: 84,800 Thai baht – Includes: 2 month lodgings, 5 PADI Specialty instructor Outlines and ALL PADI Fees
The PADI Staff Instructor Certification
PADI IDC Staff Instructors are PADI Instructors moving towards instructor-level training or teaching the Instructor Development Course (IDC). IDC Staff Instructors can independently train and certify PADI Assistant Instructors as well as help train PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors. At this level you are beginning to direct instructors how to instruct.
The “Diving Life” IDC Staff Internship / Traineeship. PADI Instructors enrolling in this program will be taken on as part of the Mermaid’s Staff for a period of 3 months after the IE and post-IE courses have been completed. During this time you will have access to all the benefits of a member Mermaid’s instructor team. Some goals you will be able to accomplish:
- Record at least 25 PADI Certifications.
- Achieve 5 PADI Specialty Instructor ratings.
- Achieve the PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) rating. (as above).
- Achieve the PADI IDC Staff rating.
- 120++ dives for experience and pleasure (un-limited).
- Add 3 month’s scuba work experience at a PADI Five Star CDC to your diving CV.
3 months TOTAL – Cost: 127,300 Thai baht – (Individual cost 66,500 Thai baht – if not taking the MSDT also).
Includes: 3 months lodgings, 5 PADI Specialty Instructor Outlines, PADI C/W and O/W Evaluation Slates and all PADI Fees for Specialties, MSDT and IDC Staff ratings.
Notes on Internships:
- Internship Fees must be paid in full before the start of the PADI IDC.
- Interns are working on a non-salaried, work for experience, basis ONLY.
- The next Professional diver level is the PADI Master Instructor rating.
- Mermaids Career Development Center have been responsible for professional divers training through the ranks to make the highest PADI achievement to PADI Course Director. If you have time and the skills this is achievable – New PADI Course Directors here.