Steve Burton, (of ASSET Association of Scuba Service Engineers and Technicians) has just been made IANTD (International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers) Instructor Trainer for Thailand.
Steve has worked for Mermaids for many years keeping the technical side of the venture alive with exciting courses and incredible engineering programs. As Thailand’s IANTD Instructor Trainer, Steve can teach Instructors how to teach these superb programs to their students.
The programs that have been deemed most useful are the following:
IANTD Advanced Nitrox (EANx) Diver Course
The IANTD Advanced Nitrox Diver course covers the following:
* Gives a fuller understanding of the application of Enriched Air in recreational scuba diving.
* Provides a thorough grounding in deep diving theory, techniques and safety procedures.
* Is an entry level Technical Diving program introducing the discipline involved in technical dive planning and certifying the diver to make dives beyond recreational no-decompression limits, using Enriched Air up to 50% for decompression.
* Is a pre-requisite to Fully Closed Circuit Rebreather training.
* Is a pre-requisite for IANTD Technical Diver and Normoxic Trimix diver training.
Minimum 3 to 4 day courseSteve Burton IANTD Instructor Trainer for Thailand
* Must be an Advanced Open Water Diver and Nitrox certified.
* Must be an IANTD Deep Air Diver or equivalent.
* May enter the program based on equivalent exp. defined as being an Advanced Open Water Diver with 50 logged dives, ten deeper than 27m/90ft, and must pass the Deep Air Diver exam as a pre-assessment.
* Must be a minimum of 15 years of age with guardian approval or 18 years of age.
* Max. Depth 39m/ 130feet.
* 2 hour confined water session working specifically on skills, emergency procedures, etc.
* Four boat dives, with a minimum of 120 minutes bottom time, at least two of which must be between 30m\100feet and 39m\130feet – All dives are made on Enriched Air 22-40%.
* Enriched Air 50% used to teach the fundamentals of safety/decompression stops. All simulated or real stops will be on Enriched Air 50%.
* Decompression will be limited to a maximum of 10 minutes and stop depths no greater than 6m/15 feet.
Review of basic Nitrox theory, equipment concepts and configurations, stress management, decompression sickness and decompression theory, oxygen use and abuse, gas management, nitrogen narcosis and injury management.
IANTD Technical Wreck Diver
This diver program is designed to train divers in safe shipwreck penetration diving, the technical utilization of Enriched Air for wreck exploration and in the use of EANx and oxygen for decompression.
Minimum five to six day course.
* Must be qualified as an IANTD Deep Air Diver or equivalent.
* For Technical Wreck Diver Program, must also be qualified as an IANTD Nitrox Diver.
* Must provide proof of a minimum of 70 logged dives, or a minimum of 40 logged dives with the qualification. of an IANTD Overhead Environment Diver.
* Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
Program contents and limits
* This course may be taught in conjunction with a Normoxic Trimix or Tri mix Diver course.
* Minimum of two hours of confined water work will be completed dealing with equipment set-up, handling and dive technique, plus emergency skills and stress management exercises.
* This Program must include a minimum of 260 minutes bottom time completed within at least eight ship-wreck penetration dives at the Instructor’s discretion, dives may be credited as specified in the standards. With maximum crediting of dives from other Technical Diver Programs (Cave, Technical Diver and Trimix) or experience, a minimum additional 160 minutes of bottom time must be completed on ship wreck dives.
* To complete the course within the minimum specified dives students must have an average of eight points (out of ten) on the watermanship evaluations. With two or more additional dives the student may graduate from the course with an overall average score of 6 points.
* Land Drills: Basic use of safety lines and reels will be performed on land and simulation of wire entanglement will be practiced.
* Equivalent narcosis depth will be limited to 36m/ 120feet and bottom PO2 to 1.4 ata.
* Decompression will use either one or two gas switches planned on IANTD Intermediate Tri-mix tables or custom software.
All sections from the Technical Wreck diver student workbook, such as: Equipment configuration dive technique, Advanced dive planning gas matching, Risk analysis, Respiratory physiology, Understanding oxygen, Narcosis, CO2 effects, Decompression theory and DCI avoidance and management.
Student Equipment requirements:
Stainless steel back plate / Harness, Dual inflation wings, 300 bar DIN regulator with air gauge (bottom MIX), 300 bar DIN regulator with 1.5 m hose (bottom MIX), 300 bar DIN fitting O2 clean DECO regulator (with cover to prevent accidental use at depth, fitted with non oil filled air gauge on 6 inch hose), two lift bags & reel for decompression stops, two dive timer & depth gauge, Dive Table, knife and surface signal device.
IANTD Technical Diver Program
A highly skill intensive full Technical Diving program which trains and certifies the diver to:
* Plan and make dives to a depth of 51m/170feet.
* Use any Nitrox mix up to and including pure oxygen during decompression.
* Provides the pre-requisite for Trimix diver training.
Minimum five to six days course
* Must be Advanced Nitrox certified.
* Must have 100 logged dives with at least 30 below 27m/90feet.
* May enter the program based on equivalent experience, defined as being Nitrox certified with a minimum of 150.
Program content and Limits:
* Maximum depth will be 51m/ 170feet.
* At least two hours of confined water sessions will be made working on equipment handling, gas sharing drills, valve shutdowns, stress management exercises etc.
* At least 300 minutes of open water run time over six dives, at least two of which must be below 39m/ 130feet.
Equipment configuration and dive technique, advanced dive planning and gas matching, risk analysis, physiology of breathing; understanding oxygen, inert gas narcosis, carbon dioxide, DCS and advanced decompression theory, planning and development of Nitrox
mixtures, and EANx blending.
Student Equipment Requirements:
Stainless steel back plate / Harness, Dual inflation wings, 300 bar DIN regulator with air gauge (bottom MIX), 300 bar DIN regulator with 1.5 m hose (bottom MIX), 300 bar DIN fitting O2 clean DECO regulator (with cover to prevent accidental use at depth, fitted with non oil filled air gauge on 6 inch hose), two lift bags & reel for decompression stops, two dive timer & depth gauge, Dive Table and/ or 3 MIX Nitrox Computer (recommended), knife and surface signal device.
Contact Mermaids Dive Center NOW