PADI Self Reliant Diver
PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty Course in Pattaya
The purpose of the PADI Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognize and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving in Pattaya or Samaesan.
Why take the PADI Self-Reliant Diver course?:
- To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
- To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.
The program offers an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner. This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility.
- 18 years of age or older
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or equivalent
- Minimum 100 logged dives
- Successfully complete a dive skills assessment by a Mermaids PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor
Required Dive Equipment:
- SMB or lift bag with 30 meters of line
- Redundant air source – pony cylinder, twin cylinders with isolation valve or sidemount configuration. Redundant gas supply must be configured so that the diver can access with one hand (we provide all equipment during the course)
- Redundant depth gauge and bottom timer, or dive computer. (Available to rent in Pattaya for 500 baht/computer/day)
- Redundant surface signaling devices (both visual and audible)
- Knife or line cutting tool
- Slate and pencil
- Back-up mask (strongly recommended)
- The value and application of the buddy system
- The philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner
- Potential risks of diving alone, and how to manage those risks
- The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed
- Dive planning and gas management
Self-Reliant Diver Course Content:
- 2 days of diving, 4 Open Water Dives in Pattaya or Samaesan
- Maximum depth 30 meters