PADI Course Director
Stephen Blumenthal – 1965 – 2006
14th December 2006 Stephen Blumenthal’s work in this life was complete. Steve (SB1) passed away due to a heart attack whilst playing squash with a friend.
Steve, enjoyed life to the fullest with an interest in many things. Stephen, originally from New York was the world’s youngest PADI Course Director at 25 years of age in 1991. This was Steve’s style – if something was to be done … it’d be done properly.
Mermaids was born by Steve’s drive to teach diving. Almost 2 decades ago Steve teamed with his partners, pumping tanks, offering diving at swimming pools and getting the word out that there is good diving here in Pattaya. When Steve entered a project you could always rest assured that it’d be bigger than anyone expected. Hence Mermaids!
Steve will be fondly remembered as a great boss, mentor but mostly a dear friend to many the world over. With the wishes of all concerned Mermaids will be pushed ever forward as a legacy to Steve and family.
Steve’s diving and personal local achievements in his life can be seen below:
Stephen Blumenthal – PADI Course Director CD-37187
PADI Course Director since 1991.
PSAI PERT (emergency first response) Instructor Trainer – Only IT based in Asia.
Managing Director, PADI Five Star Center since 1991
PADI EANX Instructor Trainer.
PADI Specialty Instructor Trainer (23 Specialties).
PADI SCC Rebreather Instructor Trainer.
DSAT Deep Tec and Trimix Instructor Trainer.
IANTD Advanced Trimix Dive Instructor.
TDI Advanced Tri-mix Instructor.
TDI Extended Range Instructor Trainer.
IAHD Handicapped Diver Instructor Trainer
DAN Oxygen Instructor Trainer.
PSA Advanced Tri-mix Instructor Trainer.
DSAT Gas Blender Instructor Trainer.
- Graduated PADI College in Santa Ana in 1988.
- Youngest PADI Course Director at 25 years old in 1991.
- Founded PADI Five Star CDC Mermaid’s Dive Center in Pattaya, Thailand in 1991, currently Managing Director.
- Over 1000 PADI Instructors Trained.
- Supervised the First PADI IE Exam Translation into the Thai Language in early 1990’s.
- Conducted the First PADI IDC Programs in Koh Samui, Bangkok, Koh Tao and Nha Trang, Vietnam.
- Initiated successful program for Mermaid’s Dive Center to become the First Thailand Dive Center to include student ownership of all PADI Materials for all PADI Courses.
Course Director Training:
- Training of numerous PADI Course Directors.
- Taught the first two Thai PADI Course Directors, Khun Rachan and Khun Saran.
- Other very active PADI CD’s trained: Jeremy Stein of Rainbow Diver, Eugene Sim of Atlantis Divers, Jamie McLeod and Lee Bright of SIDS and Russell Martin of Mermaid’s Dive Center.
- “Diving Life” Graduates are enrolled in our interactive dive job placement program. We have an extensive network of contacts and have placed Instructors in more then 10 countries around the world, including Australia, Greece, Cyprus, Egypt, Honduras, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Spain, Mexico, Ireland, and Malaysia.
PADI, EFRI and DSAT Courses:
Steve Blumenthal achieved these ratings the first year they were available from PADI/DSAT/EFRI:
- PADI EANX Instructor Trainer (IT).
- PADI (DSAT) Dolphin Rebreather IT.
- DSAT Gas Blender IT.
- DSAT Tec Deep IT.
- DSAT Tec Trimix IT.
- EFR IT.
Technical Instructor Training:
- DSAT Gas Blender, Tec Deep, and Tec Trimix Instructors Trained exclusively since these programs were initiated by PADI.
Project Aware Initiatives:
- Supervised Project Aware Clean Up’s through Mermaid’s Dive Center every April and September since 1993.
- Sponsored Alex Brylskie to travel to Pattaya to teach Marine Resource management (MRM) Course in Early 1990’s.
- IT rating in MRM, seminars held at Mermaid’s to promote sustainable development.
- Organized the contribution of Baht 66,666 to the Chula 36 project to assist in the replanting of coral in the Sattahip area under the direction of a Thai Admiral.
- 2006 – working with same Admiral and Thai Navy to have useful Buoy’s installed at all Pattaya Dive Sites.
Indigenous Thai Community:
- First Thai Speaking PADI Course Director worldwide.
- Conducted First PADI IDC entirely in Thai Language.
- Trained over 100 Thai Nationals to PADI OWSI Level. (as of Mar 2006)
- Conducted First Translation of PADI IE exams in Thai.
- Trained first two Thai PADI Course Directors.
- Translated for Thai Candidates at numerous PADI IE Programs.
- Conducts Yearly Business Seminars for Thai Graduate Students in conjunction with Ajarn Vikorn of Ramkamhaeng University in Sakorn Nakorn, Thailand.
Other Community Efforts:
- IAHD Instructor Trainer – Oversees Mermaid’s Handicapped Diver Training Department (under the direction of PADI Instructor Mark Slingo ). Many Handicapped Divers and Instructors trained in 2005/2006.
- Contributor to Jester’s “Care for Kid’s” initiative since 2000 to raise funds for underprivileged children