AIMS OF THE ASSOCIATION
- To Educate
- Set Training Standards
- Improve Customer Service
- Originate and Implement Codes of Practice
- Promote Quality Assurance
- Set Technical Standards
- Training and Development
- Represent Members Interest
ASSET was set up in 1995 in response to concerns about the standard of maintenance in the diving industry and the ever-increasing tide of Health and Safety and consumer legislation.
ASSET is dedicated to improving the quality of Scuba equipment maintenance and service through technician education, and to assist the technician to demonstrate his competence. To develop Codes of Practice and working procedures in order to assist the dive center workshop meet its Health and Safety obligations. To interact with such organizations as HSE and engender confidence in our industry’s ability to self regulate maintenance activities.
The ASSET Scheme
The ASSET scheme was placed before the HSE in 1997, since which time it has enjoyed a reputation for quality. The essential elements of the ASSET scheme are as follows:
- Technician training courses covering all areas of maintenance activity.
- Certification of Technicians providing a benchmark for competence.
- Codes of Practice, addressing the main technical activities of Equipment Maintenance (CP1), Cylinder Testing (CP2), Oxygen cleaning,
- Conversion and inspection (CP3) Breathing Gas Production (CP4).
- A maintenance and test station approval program, based on the Codes of Practice and implemented by IDEST.
- Technician Qualifications and Training.
- ASSET Qualified Engineers & Technicians.
ASSET Technician qualifications indicate that Technicians have received sound theoretical and practical training. In order to ensure the required standard, a comprehensive range of training courses have been developed:
- Dive Industry Technicians Course (10 Days) includes Cylinder Testing pt 1 & CASM
- Compressed Air Systems Management Course (CASM) (2 days).
- Nitrox Technician (including Gas Blending) Course (2 days).
- Cylinder Testing Courses pt1 VIP (2days) & Cylinder testing pt2 Hydro/NDT (2days).
ASSET Certification course are based upon the requirements of British or European Standards and Health and Safety law and are considered to be the industry standard. Technicians are also made aware of other international standards popular overseas such as the US DOT approval and inspection scheme for scuba tanks.
The ASSET scheme is unequaled anywhere in the diving world.
Training grades awarded following training:
- On completion of a Dive Industry Technicians Course (DITC), students receive ASSET Membership at the grade of Technician.
- On completion of the 4 day Combined pt1 & pt2 Cylinder Testing Course, students receive ASSET Membership at the grade of Cylinder Testing Technician.
Annual renewal of Membership is due in April of each year.